Thursday, March 15, 2007

Putting all the pieces together

So lately I’ve been thinking about, I guess, too many things. How fast time is going, the next book I want to read, how many pounds I want to lose, what I want to do in sunny California (now that it’s warmer up in my area), going back to school, starting the book, how much money I want to save (ahem, get out of debt first of course), what I want to do ‘when I grow up’… and the thoughts just keep coming.

I guess we all have a million things running inside our heads that somehow, someway, we just have to make it all come together. But, how do we do that? How can we keep track of everything and don’t have anything falling through the cracks? I see so many people running there lives, literally, and they all look like they just know how to keep it together. I guess been young, or as most people tell me “just starting off”, I still have a long way to go before I figure that one out. If it wasn’t that I still just want to grab a big chunk of the pie, NOW!

And not just one pie, I want to take big chunks out of a bunch of pies. And it seems that my pies are ‘way up there’. Some might call me a dreamer; I like to think of myself as a believer. I believe I’ll lose those 5-7 pounds I’ve been dragging, I believe I’ll get in to the grad school I want to go to, I believe I’ll get to write the book, I believe I’ll be where I want to be five years from now. But, I also believe that I have to work for all of those things. So, NOW I’m doing the hard work. NOW I’m exercising (although I have been slacking a bit this last week). NOW I’m getting out of that horrible disease called credit card debt so that I don’t drag that into grad school. NOW I’m putting my thoughts on paper so that I can have the ‘warm up’ for the book. NOW, I think, I’m putting all the pieces together so that I can have the ‘grown up life’ I’ve been dreaming about, a few years down the road.

I do know that a lot of things take time. I don’t want to say I’ve learned it the hard way, but it hasn’t been the easiest way either. But I’m willing to do the work NOW, and try to put all the pieces together. I’ll have my piece of the pie; heck, maybe I’ll have the entire pie. As long as I can look back and contemplate how it all came together and be proud of myself, I’ll be happy with all the effort. Even if I can’t have a piece of every single pie I wanted, the life that I’m living NOW makes it all worth while. Plus, if I can’t have a piece of the ‘creamy chocolate cheese pie’, then at least I'll know I saved half the calories of one of those 5-7 pounds I’m working on NOW!

No comments: