Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is enough, enough?

I’ve crossed my path with a young brave girl whose life has been, more than probably, harder than mine, my relatives, friends and people I know, all combined. I met her for the first time just yesterday, although I’ve known about her for awhile. I had been waiting for her to come back from the run and back to the shelter, where she has been more than once before. We had never been introduced, and I know, for sure, I was way more nervous than she was, that’s if she was nervous at all.

Can’t remember how I first started the conversation, all I know is that somehow I managed to learn a lot about her in that first half hour. She even told me about a book she was reading and I made a note to buy it first thing after our meeting.

I bought it and, just by page nine I hit the first ‘I have to underline this’ part. It said: “There comes a time when you’re losing a fight that it just doesn’t make sense to keep on fighting. It’s not that you’re being a quitter, it’s just that you’ve got the sense to know when enough is enough”.

Although it’s a book for the “young reader”, as the big book stores have labeled that section where I got the book from, I’ve only got to Chapter 3 and already am scratching my head. In a good sense, though. It’s just that, here was this young brave girl, reading a book about a 10 year old boy who runs away and has a list of his own “rules and things to have a funner life and make a better liar of yourself”. A book about a boy who, more than certainly, she can identify with, as both have had a really tough life.

Has she got to that point where enough is enough? Unfortunately, her future is still uncertain, and thinking she has hit that spot is not a safe bet. But, it makes me think about all of us who do have that power to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. All of us who do have alternatives, who do have a helping hand, who do have the resources, who DO know better than to stick around and wait to see what happens.

Those of us who have the power to quit our jobs, to get out of an abusive relationship, to stop complaining about been over weight, to stop whining about what we’ve always wanted to do and make it happen, to step out of our comfort zones…

Some battles are over the moment they started, some aren’t over ‘till they’re over. You won’t know what will happen by standing still. My young brave friend has gone into battle many times, and I don’t see her standing still. She knows is a tough world out there. She’s been there and has come back.

Would you?

No comments: