Wednesday, April 11, 2007

On your mark, get set, go dating!!!

Yeah, so lately I’ve been writing about dating a lot. Maybe that’s because I have been giving it a try for the first time. And, coming from someone who has dedicated most of her “adult years” concentrating on other things other than a love life, it IS a huge step. Heck, I still remember one of the first conversations I had with my roommate when I moved in six months ago and I laugh at myself. I recall saying that I just wasn’t into that whole dating ‘thing’. Isn’t it funny how six months can change your ‘perspective’ about things?

And what is it about it that just makes it such a profitable industry (‘it’ IS an industry)? We hear about ‘it’ all the time. Hundreds of books talk about the dos and don’ts. Some even pride themselves on being experts on the subject manner and get paid for their “professional advice”. Truth is I’m not even close to the latter. I’m just one of the thousands of singles mixing it up in search for the ‘perfect’ match that will walk along the journey and become a partner in crime. I’m just one of the thousands that hit the night scene, go to parks, go online, etc. etc., with our eyes wide open “just in case”. You name it we’ve done it. Actually, some of us have not done it all; I still think that the ‘speed dating’ thing is a bit too awkward for my taste.

Though, I must say that, if thousands of us are still searching for the ‘perfect match’ it means one of two things, either there are a lot of us really messed up inside, or there are a lot of us who are looking for that deeper relationship where two become one and life is just great. I like to think it’s option number two.

I’ve seen so many so called relationships where things are obviously not going well, and probably not even started well at all and scratch my head thinking how, where, WHY!!!!! I’ve come to think that some are so afraid of ending up alone that they jump at the first glimpse of “love”. But for what? Just to end up broken hearted and back to square one. That’s why I’m sticking to option number two up there.

I don’t want to end up in a relationship asking myself five, ten years later, why I even started it in the first place. I do want to be in a relationship in which five, ten years from the moment that we meet, I’ll still be as happy with sharing my life with him, the ups and downs, the roller coasters, the ‘bed, bath and beyond’ as I felt the moment I decided to take a chance on love.

And, the game is on. though, it’s not about winning or losing, or who gets there first. It's about taking one more step towards the relationship you want. So, are you prepared to put on your running (or walking) shoes or would yourather just seat on the sofa and scratch your belly waiting for prince/princess charming to knock on your door? I know I’m ready. Are you?

No comments: