Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Not your typical knock-knock joke

Knock, knock.

Who’s there?

The UPS.

The UPS guy?

Remember those knocks on the door I had talked about in my previous blog? (Oh, if you have not read it, now would be a dandy time to do so) So it turns out that my roommate had ordered a new phone and UPS was going to deliver it. If I had only known this, I would have saved myself several minutes of feeling scared and more than a few of feeling stupid. Because not only did I do all the screaming, calling for a rescuer and cried in front of the policeman shi-bang, but I did all of these because the UPS guy is hearing impaired.

Yup, you read it. When I came back from work on Friday I saw a box on the living room table. So, I asked my roommate if that was the “thing” to blame for the entire riot and he said: Yeah, and oh, I don’t think the UPS guy can hear. Right after he said that I could actually hear Homer Simpson going Do’h!

At least this whole story broke the ice and started off several nice conversations. The best one was with the brave young girl I briefly mentioned about in one of last month’s blogs; the teenager who has had a harder life than most people I know, combined.

Well, after two months of “living” at the children’s shelter, yesterday she moved to a place an hour an a half away from here. So, since I knew she was moving, I picked her up on Friday to take her to the one place she had told me she wanted to go, a pizza place called Round Table. On our way there I was telling her my UPS story, and for at least 5 minutes I had her laughing. By the end of the story she gave me her usual…that’s stupid and that made my whole ordeal worth wild. And that’s because I already know that her “how stupid” is what “dude”, “hella” or “are you serious?” are for others. Plus, I was actually expecting her to say it. If she said it, it meant she was paying attention, and if she was paying attention to this story, it meant that more than having a teenager to help out to the best of my capability, I have a friend.

I’m glad my story was a nice ice breaker and it made some laugh. I’ll be happier if my friend reads this blog one day because this next joke is dedicated to her. It's not your typical Knock, Knock joke, but she’ll get it. And that’s all it matters. I can hear her now, just as I could hear Homer…

Knock knock

Who’s there?

Arr u…

Arr u who?

Are you thinking how stupid?

No comments: