Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Simple things worth celebrating

I’ve always thought, or at least try to remind myself often, that the simple things in life are worth celebrating. Although as we get older it gets harder and harder to just sit back, relax and smell the roses, this last weekend I had many “simple moments” that I’m still savoring till today.

I moved to the States about a year and a half ago, and on Saturday I had a 1st timer… I saw my 1st shooting star since I moved!!! For a Sun, Moon and Stars enthusiast as I was growing up, it was a moment worth celebrating, and so I did. I was so blown away I couldn’t even think of a wish, but at that moment I didn’t have to ask for anything else… I saw a shooting star in California!

On Sunday, after I got home from going hiking with a friend, I decided to walk to a park near by and “just be”. No music, no books, no company, just myself and the world around me. I just laid on the grass and immersed myself in the moment. Surprisingly enough, it turned into an afternoon of sounds. The sounds of kids laughing, running around. The sounds of the cars driving by on the highway near by. The sound of dogs barking, a couple laughing, runners’ shoes hitting the ground. The more in tuned I was with sounds, the slower the world around me appeared to be. A kid must have been playing with bubbles close by because I was even able to appreciate a bubble going up and then disappearing on thin air. Simple things that we sometimes miss.

Having wonderful friends to spend time with is great and comforting, but sometimes we have to get back to being in tuned with ourselves, to step out of the new comfort zone and just enjoy the simple things in life :)

No comments: