Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Say what you need to say… per John Mayer ;)

That’s what I’ve been doing all week long, which is why I think it was funny AND refreshing I listened to John Mayer’s new song on the radio last Friday morning, on my way to work (I think it’s new, at least new to me). Long song short, it says repeatedly, say what you need to say.

Although my major is in Communications, PR and Advertising, I still find it hard to say what I need to say, when I need to say it. It was something we never did when I was growing up, and it kinda’ hasn’t changed... up until now. Since I’ve been in California, I’ve met incredible people that have changed my life forever and have been my "Opening Up for DUMMIES" to learn how to open up. Some have challenged me in ways that has brought out the best side of me, and others have put my ideals and patience to the test.

In any case, I’ve been learning how to communicate when I’ve really felt the need to say what I need to say. Although it takes me a while to nurture the courage and voice down the anger, in some cases, I’ve been able to some how, verbalize what needed to be said. And that, ladies and gentleman, is a huge step for me.

I think I’ve been lucky enough to have songs play on the radio at the right moment, come home to the book I’ve been reading at a chapter that “walks me through”, and also the support of friends that understand where I’m coming from and can help me put things into perspective.

I still have a long way to go and some things I need to say. Though, I’ve also learn to understand that there should be a time and a place to do so. Although I need to say some things, the receptor of the information should have the same opportunity to receive the information, canalize it, and say anything back if and when he/she feels like so.

I’m opening up, and I feel refreshed. I guess moving forward, I’ll keep following John Mayer’s advice…

No comments: