Friday, May 9, 2008

Al ritmo de bomba y plena…

For those non-Spanish speakers, that would mean “to the rhythm of bomba y plena”. I know, I know, there are still two Spanish words, but those can’t be translated. Bomba y plena is Puerto Rico’s folkloric dance, dated back to when the Indians and Africans first inhabited the Island. For those of you who may not know how Puerto Ricans came about, we are a mix of Indians, Africans and Spanish. Indians where the first to live there, then came the Spanish when they “conquered” the West and then the Africans who were brought as slaves. (it kinda sounded like a kids song, didn’t it).

Although Puerto Rican’s love dancing and music, our folkloric music is not played on mainstream media. You’ll mostly hear it during festivals or national events. So, to come about MY music while going out Salsa dancing in Mountain View, CA, was as sweet and delightful as a mid-summer night dream. Also, there aren’t many of us in this neck of the woods, so let’s just say I had a moment…

I let the music bring out my roots, loosen up my hips and let my “shake what your mama gave you” side come out. For those 4-5 minutes, I was in heaven. Didn’t bothered if anybody was around me or looking at me. For those few minutes I was Zilaida, the Puerto Rican girl who traveled miles in seconds and went back the Island where the sun is always out, the sand is white and the palm trees remind you the wind is blowing and you are alive.

I shared that moment in time with a really good friend who’ll be moving away for a year to follow her dream, so yes, it was a great moment. I went, I danced, I lived, I am. Boricua aunque naciera en la luna… Puerto Rican even if I was born in the moon.

No comments: