Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes we can!!!

I grew up in Puerto Rico, an Island just shy of 4,000,000 people and just 100 x 35 miles of land. My parents divorced when I was 7, and my mom became a single mom, head of the household, with 3 kids and no job. I grew up really quick and took on responsibilities that most would agree are not meant for a kid/teenager. Our resources were limited and our circumstances hard. The story of my life? Doubt it. The building blocks of who I am? Absolutely.

I’ve come to learn that there is something about overcoming obstacles that helps build one’s character and define the human being one will forever be. Today, as I watched the 1st African American to become President of the United States, I was reminded of a quote I read over two years ago, and still holds strong in my core: “You are not your circumstances, you are your opportunities”.

Today, as I am part of history, I was reminded of the reason I decided to move thousands of miles away from home. I was reminded that I came to the United States of America because this IS the land of opportunities. I came to the United States of America to prove myself, be my own person, make my own decisions and stand on my own two feet. Has it been easy? Sure hasn’t. But today, my faith in this nation, in the opportunities it can provide, has been restored.

I was reminded that it is not a name, one’s skin color, nor where we come from, that defines who we are. Rather, it is in the understanding of our differences and in finding common ground that we become one with our nation.

I was reminded that one’s life does not have to be defined by circumstances. Obama defined his life by his opportunities, and he defied the odds.

I have faith in this nation, I have faith in Obama! Yes we can!!!

Go Oh!Bama™

No comments: